I am a dedicated and enthusiastic music teacher. I have been teaching for 7 years, both in schools and privately, all ages from 5-adults. I will guide you to achieve your goals, whether it be passing grade exams, auditioning for a community band or playing a tune at your friend’s party. I will help you develop solid technique, engage your creative voice, use your body in a balanced way, and explore a wide range of genres. I plan my lessons to suit your interests and individual pace. Most importantly, I want you to have fun with your music making!
I can teach in English, French or Czech. I am fully DBS checked.
Due to the 2020 international epidemic, I currently teach online. I use Skype, Zoom and WhatsApp. I provide my students with a guide how to set up a suitable platform and how to use efficiently. As the epidemic has an impact on all families, and I don’t want you to be discouraged from learning music based on a financial constraint, at the moment I am open to negotiating lesson fees that you can afford under current circumstances.
Please contact me to schedule a lesson.
FLUTE / PICCOLO
I teach all levels from beginners to advanced (Grade 8+ standard).
I will help you with technical and musical aspects, including:
– posture and instrument balance
– breathing and breath support, articulation (single, double, triple tonguing)
– tone: embouchure, intonation, tone colour, dynamics, vibrato
– choice of repertoire: studies, exercises, classical, orchestral, jazz
– interpretation: phrasing, expression, pacing, delivery
– extended techniques: singing and playing, percussive sounds, multiphonics, quarter tones
– introduction to improvisation: essential concepts of jazz improvisation
– music theory, harmony, aural training
– audition preparation
I teach descant recorder beginners up to Grade 5 standard.
Recorder for children:
– fun exercises to develop musicianship, playing by ear, essential reading
– songs and pieces suited for different age categories
– posture, breathing, finger coordination, musicality
Recorder for adults:
– as above, but choosing repertoire depending on your musical taste – folk, pop, classical
I teach piano beginners up to Grade 3 standard.
I will help you with:
– posture, hand position
– learning to read music but also play by ear
– learning simplified versions of your favourite tunes: pop, folk, classical
– understanding essential harmony
– accompanying singing with chords (including transposition into suitable singing keys)
– building finger agility through exercises, scales, arpeggios
I teach beginners to accompany songs. This is particularly suitable for those who enjoy singing.
I will teach you:
– how to tune your strings
– how to count beats and bars in songs
– how to read lead sheets in song books
– chords and how to learn to switch between them efficiently
– essential harmony: relationships between chords, transposition into a better singing key
– different accompaniment patterns: strumming, plucking, palm muting
– essential song writing: lyric writing, harmony writing, groove choice
I teach music theory from beginner to advanced level. I teach classical and jazz approaches.
I will teach you:
– reading notation in treble and bass clef
– note values, rhythm, time signature, key signature
– major and minor scales and triads + inversions
– 7th chords (D7, M7, m7, mM7, dim, half dim), jazz chords (9, 11, 13, 7b9, 13b9, 13♯11 etc.)
– harmonic relationships: tonic, dominant, subdominant, cadences, major and minor II-V-I
– modes of the major scale, modes of the harmonic and melodic minor
– chord-scale relationship (for jazz)
– harmonizing a melody
– simple composition and song writing
I can supervise your child’s practice and help them establish habits for efficient music learning, whatever instrument they play.
Erika (flute student, 18)
I really loved lessons with Martina. She is a great flute player and she can pass her experience on to her students very well. She taught me classical music, jazz, modern music and also improvisation or playing by heart, so the lessons were enjoyable and not boring at all. She was patient and when I needed help with something I didn’t get, she was ready to explain it again and again. Thanks to her I didn’t give up playing the flute but I’m loving it. She is the best teacher I’ve ever had.
Ms. Hnatkova (parent of a flute student, age 14)
I can highly recommend Martina as a flute teacher. Although my daughter is quite shy, she enjoyed her flute lessons from day one and even started attending flute concerts. Martina’s friendly, attentive and partner-like approach increased my daughter’s motivation throughout the year. We hope she will come back to Prague soon!
MY TEACHING EXPERIENCE
private students since 2013
International School of Music and Fine Arts Prague (01-06/2016)
International School of Prague (2017/18)
Music School Vlašim (03-06/2016)
Music School Buštěhrad (09-12/2017)
Music School Ratibořická (01-08/2018)
Music School Hostivař (01-08/2019)
music studio Hudební lekce (2017-19)
Arts and Media School Islington, London (since 2019)