I am a dedicated and enthusiastic music teacher. I enjoy sharing my love of music with students of all levels and ages. I teach FLUTE, RECORDER, PIANO, GUITAR, UKULELE and MUSIC THEORY – more details below.
I have been teaching for over 7 years, both in schools and privately, all ages from 5-adults. I will guide you to achieve your goals, whether it be passing graded exams, auditioning for a community band or playing a tune you love. I will help you develop solid technique, engage your creative voice, use your body in a balanced way, and explore a wide range of genres. I plan my lessons to suit your interests and individual pace. Most importantly, I want you to have fun with music!
I am available for lessons in London and online. I can help you set up a suitable online platform, such as Zoom or Skype. I currently charge £45 for a 60-min lesson. Shorter lessons can be agreed. If I travel to your place, I might ask you to cover my travel expenses in advance.
All new students receive a FREE TRIAL LESSON. Please contact me to book a lesson. In the contact form, please tell me which instrument(s) you want to learn, your level of experience, your ambitions, your location and preferred times.
‘There is no teaching, only learning.’
My aim is for my students to enjoy learning and making music. I am a kind, patient, friendly teacher. I will treat you with respect and help you use your individual strengths. I will choose pieces you love and encourage you to be creative and expressive. Apart from reading notation, I will help you play by ear and explore light improvisation.
When teaching children, I make up games appropriate to their age to keep them engaged and to develop their ear, sense of rhythm and pitch, musicality, musical memory. Activities might involve learning to sing a song, stepping and clapping in time, body percussion games, relating singing to their instrument.
When teaching adults, I make the most of their existing musical knowledge and skill, and help them build on it. It’s never too late to start learning an instrument!
FLUTE / PICCOLO
I teach all levels from beginners to advanced (Grade 8+ standard).
I will help you with technical and musical aspects, including:
– posture and instrument balance
– breathing and breath support, articulation (single, double, triple tonguing)
– tone: embouchure, intonation, tone colour, dynamics, vibrato
– choice of repertoire: studies, exercises, classical, orchestral, jazz, folk
– interpretation: phrasing, expression, pacing, delivery
– extended techniques: singing and playing, percussive sounds, multiphonics, quarter tones, beatbox basics
– introduction to improvisation: essential concepts of jazz improvisation
– music theory, harmony, aural training
– audition and exam preparation
I teach descant recorder beginners up to Grade 5 standard.
Recorder for children:
– fun exercises to develop musicianship, playing by ear, essential reading
– songs and pieces suited for different age categories
– posture, breathing, finger coordination, musicality
Recorder for adults:
– as above, but choosing repertoire depending on your musical taste – folk, pop, classical
I teach piano beginners up to Grade 5 standard.
I will help you with:
– posture, hand position
– learning to read music but also play by ear
– learning simplified versions of your favourite tunes: pop, folk, classical, jazz
– understanding essential harmony
– accompanying singing with chords (including transposition into suitable singing keys)
– building finger agility through exercises, scales, arpeggios
GUITAR + UKULELE
I teach beginners to accompany songs. This is particularly suitable for those who enjoy singing.
I will teach you:
– how to tune your strings
– how to count beats and bars in songs
– how to read lead sheets in song books
– chords and how to learn to switch between them quickly
– essential harmony: relationships between chords, transposition into a better singing key
– different accompaniment patterns: strumming, plucking, palm muting
– essential song writing: lyric writing, harmony writing, groove choice
I teach music theory from beginner to advanced level. I teach classical and jazz approaches.
I will teach you:
– to read notation in treble and bass clef
– note values, rhythm, time signature, key signature
– major and minor scales and triads + inversions
– 7th chords (D7, M7, m7, mM7, dim, half dim), jazz chords (9, 11, 13, 13b9, 13♯11, altered etc.)
– harmonic relationships: tonic, dominant, subdominant, cadences, major and minor II-V-I
– modes of the major scale, modes of the harmonic and melodic minor
– chord-scale relationship (for jazz)
– to harmonize a melody
– simple composition and song-writing
I can supervise your child’s practice and help them establish habits for efficient music learning, whatever instrument they play.
Erika (flute student, 18)
I really loved lessons with Martina. She is a great flute player and she can pass her experience on to her students very well. She taught me classical music, jazz, modern music and also improvisation or playing by heart, so the lessons were enjoyable and not boring at all. She was patient and when I needed help with something I didn’t get, she was ready to explain it again and again. Thanks to her I didn’t give up playing the flute but I’m loving it. She is the best teacher I’ve ever had.
Ms. Hnatkova (parent of a flute student, age 14)
I can highly recommend Martina as a flute teacher. Although my daughter is quite shy, she enjoyed her flute lessons from day one and even started attending flute concerts. Martina’s friendly, attentive and partner-like approach increased my daughter’s motivation throughout the year. We hope she will come back to Prague soon!
MY TEACHING EXPERIENCE
private students – flute, piano, guitar, theory (since 2013)
Arts and Media School Islington, London (since 2019)
Music Studio Hudební lekce (2017-19)
Music School ZUŠ Hostivař (2019)
Music School ZUŠ Ratibořická (2018)
Music School ZUŠ Buštěhrad (2017)
International School of Prague (2017/18)
International School of Music and Fine Arts Prague (2016)
Music School ZUŠ Vlašim (2016)